Both the premium handsets by Samsung, Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus, have been touted as the revolutionary smartphones of the year. Moving on from last year's Galaxy Note 7 battery explosion history, record-breaking pre-orders have been received for Samsung's S8 series worldwide. We had earlier done a detailed review on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus on our blog Samsung S8 and S8 Plus (Review, Price and Launch in Dubai UAE). In this post, we will exclusively take a look at Galaxy S8 Plus. The flagship phones, which almost share similar specifications, differ in few important components.
So let's get started!
Display & Design
Samsung refers its two flagship phones as 'infinity display' phones for the super-slim bezels. Both Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus have curved edge-to-edge Quad HD Super AMOLED display, which makes the handsets look extremely stylish. It comes with a polished aluminum frame. The only difference is the screen size. While Galaxy S8 Plus comes with a huge 6.2 inches screen with 529 PPI resolution, its lower variant has a 5.7 inches display. Galaxy S8 Plus is protected by Corning Gorilla glass and also equipped with IP68, which makes the handset water and dust resistant.
These premium smartphones have the home button at the rear with a fingerprint sensor next to it. Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is equipped with iris scanner, which was earlier introduced in its predecessor Galaxy Note 7.
Processor, OS and Storage
Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 825 processor and runs Android 7.0 Nougat. It comes with 4GB of RAM with 64GB internal storage expandable upto 256 GB. A similar arrangement is also found in Galaxy S8. However, Galaxy S8 Plus also comes with a 6GB RAM variant, which is available only in selected market.
Apart from the screen size, one of the major difference between Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus is the battery capacity. While the lower variant comes with a battery backup of 3000mAh, the Galaxy S8 Plus has a massive 3500mAh battery capacity.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is stocked with fingerprint scanner besides iris sensor and face recognition. It has a single speaker on the bottom with 3.5mm jack, bundled AKG headphones.
Galaxy S8 Plus has a 12MP single-lens camera at the back with f/1.7 aperture instead of a dual-sensor setup. It also has features like dual pixel phase detection autofocus, OIS, face/smile detection, Multi-Frame Image Processing for better clarity output. The front camera is upgraded with an 8MP f/1.7 aperture. It has an autofocus option too, which is rarely found in the front cameras.
Bixby fails to deliver
The only drawback of Galaxy S8 Plus is Samsung's first virtual assistant 'Bixby', which is incomplete. It was earlier hyped that Bixby can perform even much smarter way as the AI than the Siri and Cortana because Bixby not only performs various tasks but also keeps track of the user's behavior. However, Samsung failed to deliver the expected results from its AI as it doesn't function properly. You will have to long dab the Bixby button to speak to it. But it apparently ends up raising screen with news and other stuff in place of responding. Surprisingly more dreadful, Samsung has blocked endeavors to remap the Bixby key for different capacities, which has just annoyed potential power clients.
Are you bored with the monotonous color options offered by the companies on their phones? If yes, then Samsung brings a touch of new color options. Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is available in Arctic Silver, Orchid Grey, Black Sky, Maple Gold, and Coral Blue color schemes. Choose your color!
Launch and Price
The phones will be made available for the general public from April 29. Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus price in Dubai UAE is expected to be 3,099 AED.
Review In Nutshell
Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus comes with its own set of pros and cons. So we give you a brief outlook to the advantages and disadvantages of it.
- Comes with strong battery life. It claims to stay active upto more than 6 hours with screen lights on.
- Has the latest processor of Snapdragon 835. Samsung is the first to imbibe the processor in the market.
- Better water and dust resistance. It has upgraded the handset with IP68 for better result.
- Stunning look of the handset. Holding the handset itself can make a style-statement for you!
- Bixby fails to deliver. It is incomplete which serves as a huge disappointment for the buyers.
- Camera needs little more improvement. We were expecting better results from the camera.
- Fingerprint scanner proves a troublesome key. As it is placed on the back, finger tip marks are found all over the phone as it at times gets difficult to find the right key.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Specification
- Display: 6.2" Super AMOLED, 2,960x1440px resolution, 18.5:9 (2.06:1) aspect ratio, 529ppi; HDR 10 compliant (no Dolby Vision).
- Body: Polished aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front and back; IP68 certified for water and dust resistance.
- Color Variants: Arctic Silver, Orchid Grey, Black Sky, Maple Gold, and Coral Blue color schemes.
- Rear camera:12MP, f/1.7 aperture, dual pixel phase detection autofocus, OIS; face/smile detection, Multi-Frame Image Processing; 2160p/30fps video recording.
- Front camera: 8MP, f/1.7 aperture, autofocus; 1440p/30fps video recording.
- OS/Software: Android 7.0 Nougat; Samsung Grace UX; Bixby virtual assistant; Smart Connect, Smart Connect Home
- Chipsets: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835: octa-core CPU (4x2.35GHz Kryo 280 & 4x1.9GHz Kryo 280), Adreno 540 GPU. Exynos 8895: octa-core CPU (4x2nd-gen Mongoose 2.3GHz + 4xCortex-A53 1.7GHz), Mali-G71 GPU.
- Memory: 4GB of RAM (6GB option for some markets); 64GB storage (128GB option for some markets); microSD slot for cards up to 256GB, UFS cards support.
- Battery: 3,500mAh Li-Po (sealed); Adaptive Fast Charging (same as S7); QuickCharge 2.0 support; WPC (Qi)&PMA wireless charging.
- Connectivity: Single-SIM, Dual-SIM available in certain markets; LTE-A, 4-Band/5-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.16/13 (1Gbps/150Mbps); USB Type-C (v3.1); Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac MU-MIMO; GPS, Beidou, Galileo; NFC; Bluetooth 5.0.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader; iris recognition, face recognition; single speaker on the bottom; 3.5mm jack; bundled AKG headphones.
Overall Samsung definitely deserves our accolades for bringing us this innovative premium handset, which stands a chance to rub away the Galaxy Note 7 failure memory from the minds of people.
Latest posts by PriceDeals (see all)
- Samsung is rumored to launch the most powerful gaming smartphone - July 26, 2018
- Top 5 upcoming smartphones will release in the end of 2018 - July 26, 2018
- Google Fuchsia is the new operating system to end Android - July 25, 2018